Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

{Day 3} Guest Blogger Series

 
Denise here from Sunny Days in Second Grade. I'm so happy to be guest posting at Funky Fresh Firsties!


Every teacher has different methods for classroom management that work for them. Personally, I allow my students to use the restroom whenever they need to without asking. However, I have had classes where this was not possible, either due to behavior issues or the location of the bathroom. If your students need your attention to use the restoom or get drinks, then this classroom display might work for you!




Cute, right?  Even if you don’t use signals for routine things like this teacher, I can see lots of other uses for these little hands, like using them for number recognition, listing steps in directions or schedule reminders? Help your ELL students recognize some culturally accepted gestures that they might not be familiar with. I was very surprised in one of my undergrad classes when I learned that hand signals can have extremely different meanings in different cultures! Students are always fascinated by sign language. How about an ASL alphabet to go along with your standard alphabet? This being so close to our celebration of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I can’t help but also notice that the hands are both different shades. That in itself can be a way to initiate a discussion and help all students see that they are represented as part of one classroom community.  Can you think of any other uses for a display like this? I'd love to hear what you think. I'm always amazed at things other teachers think of that didn't even cross my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment